Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Organ Recital

This past weekend I attended an organ recital on the Great Organ at Washington National Cathedral. This organ is massive and the sound enchanting, being one of the 20 largest organs in the world. I took the opportunity to sit in the choir pews which rest between the organ's pipes scaling the walls on both sides of the pews. There were 5,000 pipes directly above me beginning 10 feet above my head and extending 3 stories upward, and another 5,000 facing me a mere 30 feet away in Gothic symmetry. Needless to say, embedded as I was in the body of the organ proper, the sound was awe-inspiring. Yet I had been touring the Cathedral since 2pm, and it was now 5:15, and the recital would progress for an hour, taking me well into my scheduled nap time. I closed my eyes to enjoy the sound, and felt the sound resonate all around me. Mid-way through the recital I also felt the grasp of my significant other's hand on my knee, I thought he was being affectionate - it surprised me in this public and conservative venue. Only later did he tell me... it was to wake me because I was snoring.

1 comment:

  1. How on earth could you sleep through Kit's wonderful recital? Not possible.

    ReplyDelete