Monday, February 23, 2009

Day 6

9:27am Woke to my alarm at 8am. Slept for 2 1/2 hours. It is less effort this morning to concentrate than yesterday - I feel sleepy and more normal than yesterday. I'm looking forward to my first nap that always makes the sleepy feeling go away.

A comment on last night: watching TV was difficult last night. It was much easier to study or do pretty much anything else, probably because activity clears my thinking because I maintain brain activity, while apparently TV requires so little thought that it induces sleep. This is the reverse of my responses with a monophasic 8-hour sleep pattern. Before trying this polyphasic sleeping TV was easy and would never make me sleepy, while studying was sure to induce mental fatigue and drowsiness after a couple of hours. Interesting...

10:55, and no nap needed yet. It feels like there might be a slight headache looming, but for now it is in abeyance.

11:59am: the need for a nap came on quick and strong at 11:15. I think I might be falling into the groove - I was awake and not feeling tired until 11:15 then it was like a door opening, I just felt like I really needed to sleep. When I laid down, I set the alarm for 22 minutes to give my body 2 minutes to get to sleep and then 20 minutes of rest. As I laid my head down and closed my eyes my breathing instantly changed to a really really deep slow rhythm like I was already in a deep sleep, even though it was still a couple of minutes before my brain blinked off. I'm now awake, alert, energetic and feel great. It's odd that I always feel better after my first nap of the day than I do after I initially wake up. It could be that my body is still adjusting to a shorter core period, because I keep shortening it each day.

2:48pm: I was on hold for WoW support, and my alertness was flagging. It was going to be a 10 to 15 minute wait so I closed my eyes to see if I could rest while still staying just conscious enough to know when the support rep came on the line. I managed to get 10 minutes of refreshing rest before the rep came onto the line, and I feel comfortable I'll make it to the 4-hour mark before I need my next nap.

4:29pm: Napped for 20 minutes at 4pm. This is working out great - my naps are starting to come every 4 hours. Maybe the way to get from Everyman to Uberman is to train myself to nap 20 minutes every 4 hours with a 3-hour core, and then gradually reduce the core down to 20 minutes.

8:57pm: Napped at 7pm for 20 glorious minutes. I could have gone the four hours but my brain has been fuzzy all day and I wanted to clear it. It is clearer now.

An interesting observation is that before this experiment I couldn't nap, now whenever I lay down my head I'm deep asleep within a couple of minutes.

1:37am: Had a couple of glasses of wine at 11:30. Went for a nap at 12:30 - this was 5 hours after my last nap. Woke up an hour later at 1:30am by my SO. I remember waking up and turning off my alarm, and thinking I'll just roll over, and I guess I instantly fell asleep again. When I was awakened at 1:30 my alarm was set to 10 minutes instead of 20, so I'm not sure what happened. Did I sleep for 20 minutes and the set it for 10? or did I accidentally set it for 10 to start with, and then it wasn't enough sleep? In any case, my body is telling me I was unaware of what I was doing. The wine might have been a bad idea. I think I'll stay away from booze for now, and not go more than 4 hours between naps.

Watched an old movie with the SO - couldn't keep my eyes open. Kept drifting off and waking back up again a minute later. I really think it was the booze. No more of that for me at least for a while. Went to bed at 5:15am.

No comments:

Post a Comment